[Herbalist] Patchouli Oil

lizdenpeters@juno.com lizdenpeters at juno.com
Wed Feb 11 23:05:34 PST 2004

M'lady,

I have no knowledge of patchouli as an insect repellent.  However, I am
sure others on the list do.  I have been told that pennyroyal is a good
insect repellent.

Below are two other recipes for insect repellent.  Since some people are
sensitive to eucalyptus, I am including another recipe which doesn't use
that ingredient.  Between all of these, you have a number of options to
be insect free at war!

YIS,
Nuala
Insect Repellent for People & Pets
3 tablespoons comfrey oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon grape seed or St. John’s wort oil
4 drops lemon grass essential oil
3 drops eucalyptus essential oil
2 drops lavender essential oil
The Celtic Cauldron Catalog ~ 10/01-10/02
Vicountess Kate's Insect Repellent
8 oz Almond Oil
16 oz Grapeseed Oil
5 handfuls Southernwood
2 handfuls Wormwood
Combine all ingredients in pan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly,
until herbs are "crispy." Remove from heat and let cool until just warm.
Strain and bottle.
Glycerin can be added as a preservative. This can keep for 6 months to a
year if kept in dark bottles in a cool, dry place.