[Herbalist] Re: garden report - blackberries

ED Reese edreese at swbell.net
Fri Feb 27 18:11:29 PST 2004

Doesn't used tea leaves fill that bill?

Esther

-----Original Message-----
From: herbalist-bounces at ansteorra.org
[mailto:herbalist-bounces at ansteorra.org]On Behalf Of Ann Lee
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 12:52 PM
To: herbalist at ansteorra.org
Subject: [Herbalist] Re: garden report - blackberries

Before i moved and had to give away all of my plants,
i had great success with raspberries and blackberries
in my south-facing yard. I would get so many that it
was hard to keep picking them often enough.

One of the big reasons for it's success is (i
believe)is the pine-needle mulch that i used to use.
Raspberries and blackberries like acidic soil (sorry,
I don't remember where i read that, but it seems to be
true), so i would go to pine trees on the street, and
gather bags of the needles that fell off of them, and
come and strew them on the patch. (well, that and a
lot of water in arid-desert-like Colorado).

Having never been to Texas, I don't know whether pine
trees are an option for you, but if there is something
that can make the soil more acidic, maybe that will
help.

richenda