[Herbalist] RE: Required courses for RUM degrees

Wyllow MacMuireadhaigh wyllowmacm at netscape.net
Thu May 13 19:25:55 PDT 2004

herbalist-request at ansteorra.org wrote:

>Subject: [Herbalist] Required courses for RUM degrees
>To: "SCAHerbalist" <SCA-Herbalist at yahoogroups.com>, "SCAFoodandFeasts"
>    <SCAFoodandFeasts at yahoogroups.com>, "SCA Cooks"
>    <Sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>,  "Herb List" <herbalist at ansteorra.org>,
>    "Herb Guild" <herb_guild at yahoogroups.com>
>
>Greetings to all those within this e-realm interested in the Culinary
>Sciences,
>(My apologies for those of you receiving this more than once),
>    I am working on setting up degrees within the School of Culinary Sciences.
>I am trying to figure out how many classes should be required, how many of
>them should be mandatory vs. electives, and what those mandatory classes
>should be.
>Here is the breakdown I have so far:
>
>Students enrolled in the School of Culinary Sciences may receive any of the
>following degrees based on their choice of studies:
>(1) Scholar of Medieval Foods & Food Pathways- classes centering on the
>study of SCA Period food, availability, trade routes, regional differences
>(2) Scholar of Medieval Feasting - classes centering on SCA Period Food
>Preparation, Feasting and Fasting, Period Techniques, SCA Feastcratting,
>etc.
>(3) Scholar of Botanical Studies - classes centering on SCA Period use of
>Herbal Medicine, Period Herbals, Gardens and Gardening, should include some
>practicums
>(4) Scholar of Brewing and Vintning

I have a cross-cutting elective class to suggest:  Period methods of coloring food.  It requires knowlege of trade routes of not only spices, but specific metals, insects, etc.  It is a presentation method.  It requires herb & spices  - and there's always "green beer"!

However, you'd have to find a local instructor...maybe a dyer.
--Wyllow, a dyer, in Ansteorra

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.