HERB - liniment/massage oil rub

tbean@one.net.au tbean at one.net.au
Sun May 28 10:40:51 PDT 2006

Using essential oils in a carrier is not a period way of making massage oils.
The period way is to soak all the herbs in a carrier oil such as olive oil or
almond oil and leave them in the sun for a few weeks.
I have found that I can get great, strong liniments from making my massage oils
this way. For example I sell a bruise liniment at my apoethecary each year.
This contains St. Johns wort, Calnedular and Comfrey. I soak a couple of
handfuls of each of these in olive oil for a week or two then strain them out
and put more herb in. If it is too cold you can put them near a heater or on
top of an oven when you are cooking. Don't put them in an oven, even at very
low heat or you will turn the oil rancid.
This gives a very effective linement and is the way that it was done during
period, see Gerard, Culpeper, Dioscorides, the Leech Book of Bald, Bankes
Herbal etc, all of these give examples of liniments made in this fashion.
Caristiona
Lochac