HERB - herbal books

tbean@one.net.au tbean at one.net.au
Sun May 28 10:40:51 PDT 2006

OK this is the first one of a series of e-mails of the stuff we do in our
apothecary.
I am sending you the syrups leaflet. This only covers two of the syrups that we
sell, we now sell about four. This one looks at a Gut syrup and a Headache and
Hangover cure. We also have a Cough and Cold Syrup and This year we will be
adding a Hayfever and Asthma Syrup.
For anyone interested in using this stuff please remember that you can not
actually cure anyone with these products they are there to help relieve
symptoms only.
These pamphlets are relitively simple. They are designed to fold in three and
have pictures etc so they do not have a great deal of information. The actual
recipe we used for this was 1-2 handfuls of each herb. I kilogram of sugar and
one litre of water.
The water and the herb are placed in a pot together and simmered for half and
hour. (You may need to add more water in, depending on how powdery the herbs
are). After the half hour add the sugar and stir until it is dissolved. Strain
the mixture. Then bottle it and keep it for use. If you put it into sterelised
bottles it will last about 1year. If it is in unsterelised bottles it will last
about 6 months
I hope this is useful,
Caristiona
Lochac

Documentation for Syrups
Syrups
"Syrup made of it boiled in water and sugar is good for all the aforesaid.
Also, syrup of that made with the juice of borage, it is good for the said."
An Herbal

"Take Roses at your pleasure, put them to boyle in faire water,'..the which you
shall boyle at the least three or foure houres,... at which time the Roses will
lose their colour, that you would thinke your labour lost, and the thing
spoiled. ... then shall you adde unot one pound of Roses, foure pound of fine
sugar in pure pouder, and so according to the rest of the Roses. Thus shall you
let them boyle gently after the sugar is put thereto, continually stirring it
with a woodden spatula untill it be cold, whereof one pound weight is worth six
pound of the crude or raw conserve, as well for the vertues and goodnesse in
taste, as also for the beautiful colour."
Gerard

Syrups are essentially cordials. They are taken by putting a small amount in a
glass and adding water to it.
In the Middle Ages syrups were used in two different ways. One was to take as a
nice sweet cordial, such as the syrup of roses described on the previous page.
The other was to disguise an unpleasant tasting medicine.

The Apothecary has made up two syrups. One of these is a headache and hangover
syrup. This syrup has a combination of Milk Thistle, Dandelion and Meadow
Sweet. In combination Dandelion and Milk Thistle will help your liver
metabolise alcohol. Meadow Sweet is one of the herbs that Asprin is derived
from and is an antiinflammatory.
The Apothecary has also made a gut syrup, this is a combination of Peppermint
and Chamomile. These two herbs are used to soothe the digestive system and help
relieve gripping.
 "If wine give headache, water drink alone, To follow tippling fever's very
prone. Should crown or forehead heated be and ache, Light frictions of these
parts let patients make. And with infusions hot of Morel leave; 'Tis said from
headache they have power to save."
Code of Health 1530

"...That the leaves and roots hereof are a remedy for those that have their
bodies drawne backwards.
Dioscoridies

Modern uses for Milk Thistle includes helping maintain liver function and
protect the liver from excessive alcohol consumption
Hoffman

Dandelion "...The virtue of this herb is thus. The root is good for the fever
quotidian."
An Herbal

"...when any part of it is broken ... but bitterer in taste than succorie."
GerardDandelion is currently used as a gentle liver tonic.
MillsMeadow sweet it is reported, that the floures boiled in wine and drunke do
make the heart merrie."
Gerard

Modern uses of Meadow sweet include uses as an anti-inflammatory, and as a
treatment during fever management.
Mills

Meadow sweet it is reported, that the floures boiled in wine and drunke do make
the heart merrie."
Gerard

Gut Syrup
Peppermint
"All the sortes of Myntes in the Garden doe bothe comforte the stomache, and
helpe digestion."
Thomas Hyll 1568

"Mint is marvelous wholesome for the stomach."
Gerard.

Peppermint is used for calming digestive upsets, for vomiting during pregnancy
and managing fevers.
Mills.

Chamomile
"... and  destroyeth the yellow evil. It helpeth the aching and the disease of
the liver."
An Herbal 1525

"For though the camomile, the more it is trodden on, the faster it grows, yet
youth, the more it is wasted, the sooner it wears."
Shakespeare 1597-1598.

Chamomile is used now for headaches, gut dysfunction and sleeplessness.
Mills