[Herbalist] Chickweed salve

mlaf mlaf at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 3 21:26:15 PDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Maggie MacDonald" <maggie5 at cox.net>

> good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Let's see...

I ended up using 16 oz of olive oil infused with chickweed, 8 oz of olive
oil infused with lavendar, and 8 oz infused with calendula, and 16 oz of
beeswax.  Plus 2 teaspoons of Lavender essential oil.

It was more solid than I expected - more like a lotion bar than a salve, so
I need to add more liquid oils.  However, I really like it, and my mom says
it is one of the best things I've ever made, so I guess it worked....

> Maggie
> (still back in Calafia, and wondering about doing stuff with the stinging
> nettles all over the yards here)

I've been told that you can process nettles the same way you process flax,
to get fibers for spinning.   In fact,  some archeology findings that were
originally thought to be linen have now been proved to be nettle cloth....

Someone else told me that nettles are actually easier to process than linen,
because you boil them instead of retting, so it takes less time, but I don't
know for sure....

Melandra