[Hou-announce] OT - Fall semester Jewelry classes in Houston area

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 08:45:58 PDT 2008

Greetings,
Many of you have expressed an interest in jewelry and metalsmith skills, so I wanted to advise you of the upcoming fall classes in the Houston area.

Consider the semester class at the Houston Community College downtown (see announcement below).  The arts building is conveniently located next to a student parking garage, so security and parking is not an issue. In addition to the class time, you have open studio time during the week/weekend which gives you full access to the tools and equipment.  Audrey is a great teacher as well.

Other schools with jewelry classes include:
 - Glassell School of Art (look under education): http://www.mfah.org/
- Lone Star College: http://northharris.lonestar.edu/
 (formerly NW Harris County Community College, jewelry classes in NorthHarris campus)
- Art League of Houston: http://www.artleaguehouston.org/

I know all the teachers at these programs personally, and they are highly recommended.  Let me know if any questions.
Cheers, Hillary Greenslade

Posted by: "audryherber" flypacat at gmail. com   audryherber
Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:52 pm (PDT)
Houston Community College Central campus Metals classes are starting
August 26. There is still time to register.

The Beginners will cover basic fabrication in jewelry and the advance will be working on such fabrication topics such as Hydraulic Formation, Fold forming, Rolling Mill, Chain-making and Forging wire.

We have a large and spacious studio, with open studio hours for enrolled students. Classes are currently being offered twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday nights
6-9 pm and there is a one-day class, which meets on Fridays from 9 am to 3pm.
For more information look at my faculty web page at to view the syllabus, and student work, which I post on the web.

http://learning.cc.hccs.edu/Members/aherber/index_html

Also we have been discussing the possibility of a 12 week Saturday class starting in September,
Audry