[Hou-announce] OT: History of Watermarks at the Houston Museum of Printing History

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 31 11:14:34 PDT 2009

A bit tardy on this post as I just found out about this exhibit, but perhaps some of you maybe able to attend this last weekend.

Filigrane:  The History of Watermarks
Location: Museum of Printing History
Address: 1324 W. Clay Street, Houston, Texas 77019
Date:  May 14-Sept 5, 2009 (this is the last weekend)
Hours:  Tuesday - Saturday:  10am - 5pm

This exhibition features a survey of papermaking in Europe and the United States from the sixteenth century to the present, with a special focus on the art of the watermark. Important themes explored in the exhibition include the earliest history of watermarks, the significance of imagery, and the contemporary uses of fine paper for limited edition books and prints. On display, visitors to the exhibition will see the tools of the trade, including moulds and deckles, as well as examples of watermarks from Europe and America from the last four hundred years.

Cheers, Hillary
(miffed, because I'm going to miss this one - someone maybe can take pictures?)