LR - Seige Engineering

Adam Harrison hookshot at star-telegram.com
Wed Apr 26 11:09:01 PDT 2000

Good afternoon,

I've been browsing around the Knight's Armory website all morning.  There's
alot of good information there.  Several blueprints for engines that are not
out of our league...  And it gives a near step by step process for how he
built his ballistaofdoomthing.  The only real thing missing from this site
are exact measurements...

I'd like to "try" building the prototype repeating ballista that Dionysius
built.  I say try because the engine is fairly complex, and will take some
time to adapt for our purposes.  Dionysius never had to worry about 2" wide
tips on his bolts :-)

I have a week left of school.  After that I'm pretty much going to devote
all of my time to the seige engine project we're undertaking...

I propose that we start having "seige workshop" meetings every month.  the
sole purpose of these meetings would be to design, built, test, and refine
the ballistas that we are going to build for Gulf Wars.  It would need to be
on a separate date than the armor/arrowmaking workshops we have now so we
can focus solely on the ballistas.  I was thinking Polydore's shop would be
a good meeting place to actually build the engine, but we should meet in
someone's living room or an IHOP or someplace like that for discussion and
desiging of the engine.  I would volunteer my living room for these
discussions, but I haven't approached my parents about this matter yet.  I
don't think they'll mind too much, but you never know...

I also propose that we, as Elfsea is doing, create a new officer's position
in Loch Ruadh for "seige master" or whatever we decide to call it.  This
officer would be responsible for running the Seige workshops and leading the
team that builds the products of said workshops.  This officer would not
have to be on the crew for either of the machines, but he/she certainly
could be...

I have one more proposal here.  I propose that we have a seige engine
competition at our Lughnasad.  It would be a nice trial run for the
competition at ES defender, and a good chance for us to see what other
groups are building.  If we have time, I would also like to hold a seige
engineers meeting at Lughnasad.  Just a short meeting to see how everyone's
engines are coming along.

Comments, questions, food?
-Bjorn