LR - Seige Engineering

Adam Harrison hookshot at star-telegram.com
Wed Apr 26 16:50:39 PDT 2000

<snip>
> Good idea though the calender is kinda crowded, might be difficult to
manage
> 2 workshops a month.

Yes, I understand the calendar is kinda full, but I'm sure we can find some
time in there...

<snip>

> The planning stage sounds good at a general local. I am sure we could find
> someplace without to much trouble!

My thougths exactly.

> >> I also propose that we, as Elfsea is doing, create a new officer's
> position
> >> in Loch Ruadh for "seige master" or whatever we decide to call it.
> >>This officer would not  have to be on the crew for either of the
machines,
> but he/she certainly
> >> could be...
>
> This I will have to disagree on. Loch Ruadh is a small Canton and creating
> new *officers* position dosent seem like something we would need.  Having
> someone designated as a "Seige Master", however, and be a deputy to the
> Knight Marshall's position would be a very workable idea!

You make some very good points here, however I would like to note that the
"Archery Marshal" is a full fledged position, as in "not a deputy to the KM"
and Seige Engineering plays just as big a role in Armored Combat as Combat
Archery...

Then again, it might be good to keep the Seige Master postion as a deputy
for the first year or so, to see how well seige engineering is received in
the canton...

Also, I consider deputies to be officers, so in my eyes, we're both right
;-)

>(and of course
> there is the old saying of "you came up with the idea, you do it!"
hehehehe)

I'm not opposed to being the Seige Guru....

but I'd just as soon let someone else take it who would put in as much
effort as I would...

> In *my* opnion (which of course everyone is entitled to <grin> ) I think
we
> have enough things on the plate for Lughnasad. We dont want to over extend
> ourselves on our second event (and having been over 6 years since the last
> one we did!)  One of the drawing points for Lughnasad is that its a laid
> back event without alot of things happening all at once. Also keep in mind
> that many of the others who will be building seige engines will be at
> Pennsic.

Agreed, I kinda forgot it was the same time as Pennsic...

I like Sluggy's idea for a "demonstration" and possible impropmtu
"shoot-off" if a few engines show up.  We certainly have the space to do it
safely...

> >>If we have time, I would also like to hold a seige engineers meeting at
> Lughnasad.  Just a short meeting to see how everyone's
> >> engines are coming along.
>
> Might not be a bad idea, for those who are still in town and assuming they
> want to let others know what they are doing. They may wish to keep it
> secret, <shrug> who knows. But it never hurts to ask.  But also holding a
> short meeting of LR's seige engineers to see how we're coming along might
> work out, assuming we all arent chasing our tails keeping Lughnasad
running
> smoothly.

My original thought was to have the LR engineers do some testing at some
point in the event(assuming they don't have other duties at the event, which
we probably would), and have a separate meeting for all engineers, but
seeing as how many of them should be at pennsic, I think we should just do a
meeting of the LR engineers, and have it "open invitation" for others...  or
something like that...

> MagD'Leigha
> Stepping down and letting someone else have the podium

Really?  can I take it?  I'm sure that wood could be used for part of one of
the engines we are going to build.... ;-)

-Bjorn