LR - Seige Engineering

Bill Osterheim Polydore at worldnet.att.net
Wed Apr 26 17:28:02 PDT 2000

<Bjorn's note shortened for save of bandwidth>

>> I propose that we start having "siege workshop" meetings every month.

 > And work on both? Might not be a bad idea!

Both of what? I only see one proposal...

>> It would need to be on a separate date than the armor/arrowmaking
>> workshops we have now so we can focus solely on the ballistas.

> Good idea though the calendar is kinda crowded, might be difficult to
> manage 2 workshops a month.

I have seen no proposals for either arrowmaking or armoring work-
shops.  I doubt that there will be an arrow making one until at least fall,
if then.  Nobody has been asking for any more armoring workshops,
either, though I suggest a couple more sometime, to finish up a couple
of things we started.  I do propose to continue having reasonably
regular woodworking shops, but, since the actual construction of the
siege engine would probably me mostly wood, it might fit in well.

>> I was thinking Polydore's shop would be a good meeting place to actually
>> build the engine, but we should meet in someone's living room or an
>> IHOP or someplace like that for discussion and designing of the engine.
>> I would volunteer my living room for these discussions, but I haven't
>> approached my parents about this matter yet. I don't think they'll mind
>> too much, but you never know...

> The planning stage sounds good at a general local. I am sure we could find
> someplace without to much trouble!

A library or a home with a good sized room and a table or something to
lay plans and books out, and draw on would be good.  Bjorn’s would be
fine with me, or perhaps Sluggy, Rob, and Pook’s home. It certainly meets
the table in a good-sized room recommendation.

>> I also propose that we, as Elfsea is doing, create a new officer's
>> position in Loch Ruadh for "siege master" or whatever we decide to call
>> it. This officer would not  have to be on the crew for either of the
>> machines, but he/she certainly could be...

> This I will have to disagree on. Loch Ruadh is a small Canton and creating a
> new *officers* position doesn’t seem like something we would need.  Having
> someone designated as a "Siege Master", however, and be a deputy to the
> Knight Marshall's position would be a very workable idea!  (and of course
> there is the old saying of "you came up with the idea, you do it!" hehehehe)

Don’t forget that we HAVE a siege engine construction mistress!  Assigned
by the Seneschal to kick out buts and get us going on this, if I recall. If we
are
going to have an underofficer for this, I suggest the proper place is under
the Archery Marshall – they are more related. There should be somebody
we can stop the buck at!

>> I have one more proposal here.  I propose that we have a siege engine
>> competition at our Lughnasad. If we have time, I would also like to
>> hold a siege engineers meeting at Lughnasad.  Just a short meeting to
>> see how everyone's engines are coming along.

snip
> want to let others know what they are doing. They may wish to keep it
> secret, <shrug> who knows. Snip

> MagD'Leigha

I think we are going to have enough to do without the competition,
to say nothing of getting this so far totally unplanned engine and
ammunition done before then.  I like the engineers meeting, perhaps
at lunch or something.

And don’t forget something else!  Exactly where are you planning
to keep this thing, and how are you going to haul it??? Don’t look
at me. My junk supply is quite adequate. (grin!)  And how about
paying for it? It would be foolish to spend any Canton funds
not necessary until after we see what happens at Lughnasad.

Polydore