LR - Seige Engineering

Conor na Mara ack3 at airmail.net
Thu Apr 27 07:27:33 PDT 2000

"...I propose that we start having "seige workshop" meetings every month.
the sole purpose of these meetings would be to design, built, test, and
refine the ballistas that we are going to build for Gulf Wars.  It would
need to be on a separate date than the armor/arrowmaking workshops we have
now so we can focus solely on the ballistas.  I was thinking Polydore's shop
would be a good meeting place to actually build the engine, but we should
meet in someone's living room or an IHOP or someplace like that for
discussion and desiging of the engine.  I would volunteer my living room for
these discussions, but I haven't approached my parents about this matter
yet. I don't think they'll mind too much, but you never know..."

    Theoretically that sounds good. However,  Weekends are taken up with
events 'til sometime in June. After that, you might be able to find a date
on the calendar somewhere between fighter practices, woodworkers, and other
events. What you really need to do is come to an officers meeting and we can
figure out where to put it on the calendar.

    If Polydore is agreeable, I think meeting at his workshop would be good
for design as well as construction. There's also a IHOP at 820 and Quebec
St. that we could meet at.  I personally think that if we're going to meet
on a regular basis and it be an open invitation type meeting then it needs
to be at the place we're building it at or a public establishment.

"...I also propose that we, as Elfsea is doing, create a new officer's
position in Loch Ruadh for "seige master" or whatever we decide to call it.
This officer would be responsible for running the Seige workshops and
leading the team that builds the products of said workshops. This officer
would not have to be on the crew for either of the machines, but he/she
certainly could be..."

    This is another topic that really needs to be brought up at officers
meeting.  I do agree with the idea that this position should be a deputy to
the knights marshal office but we can discuss this at officers meeting.

"... I have one more proposal here.  I propose that we have a seige engine
competition at our Lughnasad.  It would be a nice trial run for the
competition at ES defender, and a good chance for us to see what other
groups are building.  If we have time, I would also like to hold a seige
engineers meeting at Lughnasad.  Just a short meeting to see how everyone's
engines are coming along...."

    I really don't think this is feasible. First, the schedule for
Lughnasadh is pretty much full.  I've closed the Schedule for Lughnasadh
with the exceptions of special cases (determined by me) and at the request
of the Crown. Second, like it was stated by others, that most seige crews
will be at Pennsic. At least, they *should* be at Pennsic. Either way, If
you have something you want to add to the lughnasadh schedule you need to
talk to me privately and we'll work out something.

-Conor
Loch Ruadh Kn ight Marshal
Autocrat for Lughnasadh 2k