LR - Seige Engineering

Adam Harrison hookshot at star-telegram.com
Wed Apr 26 16:50:21 PDT 2000

<snip>

> > I propose that we start having "seige workshop" meetings every month.
the
> > sole purpose of these meetings would be to design, built, test, and
refine
> > the ballistas that we are going to build for Gulf Wars.
>
> I agree, though we need to recall that the populace has already voted on
> making a trebuchet for next Gulf War.

Perhaps I should have said "Engines" not specifying what types...

> > I also propose that we, as Elfsea is doing, create a new officer's
position
> > in Loch Ruadh for "seige master" or whatever we decide to call it.
>
> Please also recall that Baroness Dana already has this duty for the
> trebuchet that we had already decided to make.

Yes I recalled that.  My understanding was Dana was the "crew chief" for the
Trebuchet only(since at that time we were only going to build one engine).
I'm not outright saying we are going to build two, but his highness has
decreed that we present at least one ballista at Gulf Wars X, and that will
be our second engine if we do build a trebuchet...  I'm suggesting we create
a position to coordinate activities of all the Engines we build, not just
the trebuchet.  I would also like to point out that with Dana's duties as
Central Region Scenashal, she shouldn't be burdened with having to worry
about building TWO engines of completely different designs, that's why I
proposed the new position...

> > I have one more proposal here.  I propose that we have a seige engine
> > competition at our Lughnasad.
>
> As mentioned by others, I think adding a competition to our already
> potentially tapped out event would not be wise, though I would love it
> if we had something to demonstrate by then! An open invitation could be
> posted to anyone with a seige weapon. If enough people bring one, maybe
> have an impromptu shoot-off, but I think an organized competition would
> be overtaxing our event crew and calendar.

Agreed.  The fact that it was occuring during Pennsic slipped my mind...

Although, we WILL have something to demostrate by then...  You've never seen
me really fired up about a project have you?  (remember your sword and
spring melees?  that was just the tip of the iceburg...)

> > Comments, questions, food?
>
> I have a comment about questionable food, but perhaps another time...

Did it come from the Elfsea kitchen at Gulf Wars?

-Bjorn