LR - Grandpa

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Thu Apr 27 10:06:57 PDT 2000

Tim Cantley said -

>Trust me Dunstan, I feel your pain when it comes to feeling outnumbered.  I've had more sympathy from Englishmen than my Irish bretheren for being a lone Scot in a mostly Irish household.  Which makes me wonder about these Irish since it was them that brought advanced education and religion to Scotland.  I would think that they would be proud of what they were able to do with the Picts that even the Romans couldn't do :)  But one thing I've learned in all of this is be proud of who you are..no matter what personna you choose cuz even though the Irish made pretty good whiskey and beer...would you trust a bunch of alcoholics to fight in your army?  :) :)  What you English did wrong with the Scots is fight the whole country...if you'd just picked on each clan individually..you may have been able to subdue them much quicker...hell the Scots fought as much amongst themselves as they did with their enemies :)

Firstly, God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world.  Secondly, the reason that Celts (all Celts, the Irish and Scots included) fight amongst themselves is that it is so hard to find other worthy opponents.

And the primary reason that the Irish and Picts eventually merged to become the Scots is that both peoples believed that the rights of the individual outweighed those of the group.  This is a concept the Romans and later the English could not understand, as those cultures believed in the subjugation of the individual to the state, embodied by the Emperor or King.

And as far as having a bunch of alcoholics in your army - can you imagine facing anyone more fierce than a pissed-off, hungover Celt, who would just as soon kill you as look at you?

Nunc Est Bibendum