LR - Ballista webpage

Adam Harrison hookshot at star-telegram.com
Thu Apr 27 18:27:24 PDT 2000

The is the webpage I mentioned in my last email.  The design is simple and
it works from an SCA standpoint.  It uses a bungee cord for the "bowstring"
and is not tortion powered.  The author claims to be able to build this
thing for less than $100.

I don't particularly like the design, but it is a starting point.

http://jim-diana-hart.home.att.net/ballista.html

The first thing I would do is scrap the "prod" idea he has(which is NOT
period, as in "none of the sources I have looked at show them").  His design
ends up looking like a giant crossbow on a stand.  The closest thing to it
is a gastrophetes or "belly bow"  which is a_giant_crossbow, and was not
mounted on a stand(that I know of).

to replace the prod I would build a box frame that looks like the period
ballistas I have seen.  The bungee cord, or surigcal tubing, or whatever can
be attached to the prods that power a tortion design.  these prods would not
be able to move.

What I have just described is the style of engine that the majorty of
engines at Gulf Wars  were this year.

I want to build a true tortion design, but that may be outside our
capability.

-Bjorn