LR - Spring Melees?

Conor na Mara ack3 at airmail.net
Mon Feb 21 10:20:43 PST 2000

> As mundane life interfered once again with what I would rather be doing
and I ended up working Saturday morning, can someone who attended Spring
Melees give me a rundown on what went on?

> Many thanks,
> Padraig

Friday, for us, was fairly uneventful until we got on the road. First
Llewelyn got a call from someone who was relaying the message that Sluggy
and julie's vehicle had broke down in Huntsville. Which we were just leaving
Arlington at this time. Once we got there we picked sluggy up and julie
stayed to take care of her car. The rest of the trip was fairly uneventful.
We arrived at site after midnight and got setup and in bed by about 2am.

Saturday

We all were up by 8:00 and getting armour on. Melees didn't actually start
til about an hour or two later. There were about 40 fighters in all. The
sides ended up to be the Coastal region melee team against the 6 Arthurians,
Talon melee team, and Sir Wilhelm.  The first scenario was the mock up
ravine. Simply put we were stuck pigs in that one. Once the sides squared
off, the coastal region sent out 4 spearmen and they picked apart our shield
wall. When the pulse charge was called for, it was like throwing mud onto a
stone wall.  We didn't last very long after that. The second battle in the
ravine was only slightly better.

    The next scenario was a bridge battle. Once the coastal region was in
position, they charged our ranks immediately. Sluggy, Myself, Bjorn, and
Llew all made up the front line and took the brunt of the charge. I don't
know about the other guys, but I managed to kill 3 or 4 before getting
killed myself on both Scenarios. Unfortunately on the last scenario, the
upper chin strap in my helm broke and my half gauntlet was half fallen
apart. That took me out of the melees for the rest of the day.

    I'll let the other guys elaborate on the remaining scenarios. I missed
alot of what we did, because of either running back and forth trying to find
a strap, or marshalling the outside of the castle.

    That evening was fairly entertaining. Sluggy pulled the same trick that
you did at defender. Sean forgot his Whiskey but still managed with the
Captain Morgans that was going around. The stew that Afan cooked was
delicious. After three bowls, I stopped only to be sure to have room for the
cheesecake.  The rest of the night was sitting around the fire and
reminiscing about old times. It was nice, but I certainly missed having you
there. No songs or music surely makes for a quiet night.

Sunday

    I'm not sure what time it was when we got up but it was definately later
than the day before. The day went slow. It was the usual, pack up, load up,
and go home. The traditional stop at Golden Corral was made. The trip back
was long and most of us slept. Certainly, a good end to a journey into the
coastal region.

Ld. Conor na Mara, Esq.
Loch Ruadh
ack3 at airmail.net
"Success comes in a can. Failure comes in a can not."