LR - gutenberg bible

HRAFNASDOT at aol.com HRAFNASDOT at aol.com
Sun Jul 2 16:36:04 PDT 2000

Forwarded from the A&S list:

>From The Scout Report:
    3.  Goettingen Gutenberg Bible [Flash]
http://www.gutenbergdigital.de/

"The Goettingen State and University Library has announced the final
version of its digitized Gutenberg Bible. All 1,282 pages of the
Bible, one of only four complete, illuminated copies on vellum, have
been scanned and placed online in both German and English versions.
Visitors can browse the text by Book via a pull-down menu and then
select pages to view as double or single pages, the latter providing
the largest image. Eighty-eight of the pages are illuminated and
partly gilded and may be viewed separately. In addition to the Bible,
the site also offers two digitized documents: "the Goettingen Model
Book, a contemporary manuscript which provided the patterns for the
decoration of the Goettingen Bible; and the famous Helmasperger's
Notarial Instrument (6th November 1455), dealing with Gutenberg's
invention, known as the 'Werk der Buecher' (work of books) and
Gutenberg's business relations with Johannes Fust." Also included are
brief features on Gutenberg's life and printing. The Goettingen State
and University Library is to be thanked for making this rare and
beautiful text freely available to the world. [MD]"

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise        jenne at tulgey.browser.net
   "My hands are small I know, but they're not yours, they are my own"