LR - Loch Ruadh Company, Name of

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Fri Jun 2 00:54:23 PDT 2000

Sluggy said -

>I like both of these, too, particularly Sceana Ruadh...

>We might want to think of the way our name will need to be pronounced by
>a commander utilizing us as a unit in battle. Sharp sounding two
>syllable phrases are generally better understood over the clamor of
>steel and rattan. "Loch" has a nice hard sound...
>
>Knowing our common draw to the color red and knowing that, as a company,
>we are likely to be archery and seige weapon heavy, Celticized phrases
>for "red spear", "red arrow", "red ICBM", "red (insert your favorite
>projectile weapon here)" might also be appropriate.
>
>Other more stealthy weapons might be considered: stilleto, dagger,
>crossbow....
>
>Many of our group are dragon afficianados, so "red dragons", "dragons
>claw", "dragons blood", "stop dragon my heart around"....
>
>Other animals associated with warrior ideals might be appropriate as
>well...  lions, tigers, bears (oh my), eagles, hawks, vipers, dogs...
>
>On the other hand, I saw no mention of "drunken", "wild",
>"uncontrollable", "crazy", "dangerous".....

Although I have claimed to be a Gaelic lexicon, I do not speak fluent Gaelic (yet), and did the previous research during a break at work.  Unreasonable though it seems, my employer does expect me to actually perform some of the tasks for which I am paid. <grin>  Getting more research done, and teaching the rest of you how to speak like civilized people, may take a weekend or two.  <bigger grin>

Nunc Est Bibendum
**********
Politicians prefer unarmed peasants.

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain wrote, essentially:

> My personal favorites from the list I sent out are "Feadhna Ruadh"
> (FAY-nah ROO) or "Red Troop", and "Sceana Ruadh" (SKAY-nah ROO)
> or "Red Knives".

I like both of these, too, particularly Sceana Ruadh...

We might want to think of the way our name will need to be pronounced by
a commander utilizing us as a unit in battle. Sharp sounding two
syllable phrases are generally better understood over the clamor of
steel and rattan. "Loch" has a nice hard sound...

Knowing our common draw to the color red and knowing that, as a company,
we are likely to be archery and seige weapon heavy, Celticized phrases
for "red spear", "red arrow", "red ICBM", "red (insert your favorite
projectile weapon here)" might also be appropriate.

Other more stealthy weapons might be considered: stilleto, dagger,
crossbow....

Many of our group are dragon afficianados, so "red dragons", "dragons
claw", "dragons blood", "stop dragon my heart around"....

Other animals associated with warrior ideals might be appropriate as
well...  lions, tigers, bears (oh my), eagles, hawks, vipers, dogs...

On the other hand, I saw no mention of "drunken", "wild",
"uncontrollable", "crazy", "dangerous".....

Sluggy!

--
------

Why Windows NT Server 4.0 continues to exist in the enterprise
would be a topic appropriate for an investigative report in the
field of psychology or marketing, not an article on information
technology.  - John Kirch     http://www.unix-vs-nt.org/kirch/