LR - early war practice anyone?

Sluggy slugmusk at home.com
Mon Jun 5 07:40:12 PDT 2000

Conor na Mara wrote:

> 11 hour drive answer I expected to get. What I found that was interesting is
> that according to map quest it takes 3 minutes longer to drive home than it
> does to drive there.

For once, I feel at an advantage over Conor, being nearly an hour closer
to Clovis than he is, but this east-bound path length problem is
intriguing....

At first, I thought that the rotation of the Earth could account for
this three minute discrepancy, but looking at the globe on axis from the
north pole, it would be spinning counterclockwise. All logic would
indicate that a vehicle travelling east would in fact be going faster,
like walking up the up escalator.

Upon further analysis, I see that the path involves US84. Just east of
Lubbock, this stretch of road stretches indefinitely, due in part to the
<sarcasm>lush scenery</sarcasm>. If it were not for the occasional
milepost, pumpjack or irrigation well, one could reasonably assume that
they were driving on the outside surface of a slowly rotating drum
painted with a checky pattern of browns, greens and golds.

Now, understandably, this effect would be most pronounced travelling
_to_ Lubbock, but perhaps my glee at departing Lubbock in the past
overwhelmed my senses such that I did not notice the delay heading
eastward.

Then again, perhaps MapQuest is simply taking the counterflowing
jetstream into account...  :)

Sluggy!

--
------

Why Windows NT Server 4.0 continues to exist in the enterprise
would be a topic appropriate for an investigative report in the
field of psychology or marketing, not an article on information
technology.  - John Kirch     http://www.unix-vs-nt.org/kirch/