LR - Loch Ruadh Company, Name of

N.Foster nefoster at flash.net
Tue Jun 6 14:15:44 PDT 2000

In Ernst Windisch's Irish transcription of the Tain Bo Cualinge(1905), Red Branch is Chraebruaid; a literal translation. But, if I remember my Irish history properly, Red Branch was actually a mistranslation of Ruairiacht, the people of the red king, also known as Clanna Rory.

As far as the Fianna go, "fian" is modernly translated as soldier, or foot soldier although the meaning goes much deeper than that. A "fianna"  is a group of  "fennidh", which means something like outlaw, but not quite. Entire volumes have been written on the true meaning of these words and they seem to have changed much throughout history. ( If you are really brave ask me about this and I'll go into detail).
The "Fianna Erin" or "Fianna Finn" , from the tales of Fionn Mac Cumhail, are commonly known as "The Fianna"; much in the same way the U.S. Army is called "The Army". This does not mean they were the only ones; other fianna are mentioned in the Irish cycles as well.
The "Fianna Fail", Soldiers of Destiny, is the modern Irish Republican party. This could possibly be mistaken for something like Fianna Faoil, Soldiers of the Wolf (my favorite kind); but could never be confused with Fianna Ruaidh.

I personally think that fianna would be a fitting title for the Loch Ruadh company. Having it's origin in outlawry, but at the same time being protectors of the people.

-Nudd
? Did Gaelic spelling come as a result of whisky, or was whisky a result of having to read Gaelic ?