LR - Ballista update

Adam Harrison concrete_donkey at yahoo.com
Wed May 24 13:06:36 PDT 2000

A few days after populace, Ivan and I adjusted the
tension on the ballista and got it to shoot an
unmodified golf tube bolt about 35 yards.  At this
point we could not tighten the skeins any more due to
hex bolts blocking the way.  Also the tripod felt that
this was a convenient time to self destruct.

I had to put the modifications on hold due to several
reasons, but I have been able to get back into the
shop and do a couple of things.

the hex bolts have been replaced with carriage
bolts(rounded tops).  This should allow us to tighten
the ropes enough.

I redesigned the tripod.  no longer is it a "fold up
and flop all over the place" tripod.  now it is a
rigid tripod that can be broken down for travel.  The
advantage this gives is re-positioning quickly on the
field is now possible.  All you have to do is pick it
up and put it down, you don't have to mess with
folding out the legs.  this also gives it a much more
stable platform to fire from, making aiming a little
easier.

The new tripod is being built as we speak.  The
platform is plywood laminate made with 3 layers of 3/4
inch plywood.  The legs are the same, but they have
been modified to provide more support.  They are now
braced with supports used in building hurricane and
earthquake resistant houses.  I don't know how well
they will stand up to a heavy fighter at full run, but
they should be more than adaquate.

If all goes as planned, this should be ready to go by
warlord, and hopefully we will be able to test fire it
there...

-Bjorn