LR - Home

Conor na Mara ack3 at airmail.net
Mon May 29 21:19:50 PDT 2000

> Unfortunately for me I ended drawing a Don and a Cadet in the Double Elim
> Tourney.

    Such is the luck of the lists.  However, I would like to add this idea
for you to think about.  Cadets, like squires, are just fighters who've
struck a deal with a white scarf/belt.  I've seen people be squired only a
few months after starting in the fighting arts. I've also seen a fighter
take 10 years before he decided to squire to a knight.   Cadets make just as
many mistakes as non-scarved fighters do.

    Dons, like knights, make mistakes too.  However, not as many and tend to
recover a bit faster. :)

    Either way, when I first started fighting heavy, I lost many bouts
before they even started because of the fact I was fighting a belted
fighter.  Now that I wear a red belt and have killed a knight or two in both
practice and tournament, I look back at how I was and see how silly I was.

    Next time you come across a Cadet or even a Don, whether in practice or
tournament,  don't think about how quickly you're going to lose but rather
funny look they're going to have on their face when you're sticking them
with your rapier.

Ld. Conor na Mara, Esq.
Loch Ruadh
ack3 at airmail.net
It's only a hobby ... only a hobby ... only a