LR - FWD: FW: Gulf War Kitchens.

Padraig Ruad padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Thu Sep 7 10:32:26 PDT 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Vicki Marsh [mailto:XaraXene at Home.com]
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2000 2:03 PM
To: Steppes; Elfsea
Subject: Gulf War Kitchens.

Greetings:

Xene here.  After returning from Gothic War, I have come to realize that the
time to prepare for Gulf War is NOW!!

I have volunteered to run the Group Kitchens at Gulf War for Elfsea. I have
some ideas for the kitchens, but would like you all to think about them and
help me with ideas.  In the past, Elfsea had a group kitchen that worked
pretty well.  However, this next year, we are planning to camp with Steppes
as well, so I would like to consider this a Central Region camping area and
kitchen planning.

First, while it can be economical for groups to combine equipment and
resources for meals, there is a point where a diseconomy of scale is
reached.  It can just grow too much and become unwieldy or too expensive
beyond a certain point. So, I would like to propose "cells" organized for
the kitchens.  The cells can be households, or Cantons, or just groups of
people who like to camp together. It can also be people who eat similar
foodstuffs (lotsa meat vs. lotsa pasta). I recommend the cell size to be
20-30 adults. Prior designation and posted waterproof lists as to who has
which job for each meal is highly recommended (Meal prep, clean-up, trash
duty, etc.)

Second, each cell decides what meals it will cover.  Some may want the full
range - Breakfast, Lunch, and dinner.  Others may want only Dinner each day.

Third, the Iron Lance has been recruited to fight for Ansteorra again by
Airiklee with the payment to be a meal for the unit.  I don't know the

[message truncated]