LR- Loch Ruadh Offices Open for Bids (long - please read)

baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org
Thu Apr 5 10:46:48 PDT 2001

Galen here...

I'd like to join Lord Padraig in urging anyone
considering applying for office to go ahead and do so.
There is no dishonor in applying and not being chosen;
on the contrary, there is much honor in offering your
services, and those of us with a voice in selecting
officers remember with gratitude those who were not
selected.

Also, please copy Allessandra and I on your
applications; we like to know when people are
volunteering to serve.

Finally, to the current and future officers, remember,
the Baron & Baroness are your resource; please don't
hesitate to contact us at need.  We're outside
your "chain of command" so we're in a position to
advise, correct, and intercede in a unique way.  We're
here to help.

Elfsea has much to be proud of, Loch Ruadh among the
rest.  Our Canton's health is our health.

- Galen

Quoting Sam Milligan <padraig_ruad at irishbard.com>:

> As you know, several Offices in the Canton of Loch
Ruadh are open for bid.
> They are:  Seneschal, Chronicler, Herald, Minister of
Arts and Sciences,
> Hospitaler, and Archery Marshal.
>
> While interest has been expressed in submitting bids
for various of these
> Office, no bids have been as yet received for any of
them.

> I have often said, and I truly believe, that there is
a wealth of skill,
> talent and knowledge among the Populace of our fair
Canton.  I ask that
> each of you carefully consider using your portion of
those traits to serve
> Loch Ruadh, and to help us to continue to grow and
prosper.

> If you are a paid member, and are able to devote a
portion of your time and
> effort to serve as an Officer of the Canton, I ask
that you would consider
> submitting a bid for one of these Offices.  (This not
to say that there is
> no place for non-paid members; you can be a deputy to
any Officer without
> having to be a paid member.  If you are a non-paid
member and are
> interested in a particular Office, please offer your
services to the
> appropriate Officer as a deputy.)
>
> Do you need experience in order to hold an Office?
Experience is a useful
> thing, but not the overriding factor; much more
important is the
> willingness to learn and to serve.  If you are
interested in submitting a
> bid but want to know more about the duties of a
particular Office, you can
> contact me, or better yet, the Regional Officer for
that Office.  I will
> list the names and emails of the Regional Officers at
the end of this
> missive.
>
> You may have heard that Lord John Doe or Lady Jane
Roe will be submitting a
> bid for a particular Office, and you are thinking
that there is no use in
> submitting a bid, as he or she will surely be
chosen.  This is certainly
> not the case.  The responsibility for choosing
someone to fill an Office
> lies with the appropriate Central Regional Officer.
That Regional Officer
> will very likely consult with the current holder of
the local Office and
> with the Seneschal before choosing a new Officer, and
may well have
> criteria for selection that would make John Doe or
Jane Roe unsuitable.
> Much better to provide the Central Regional Officers
with several
> candidates for each Office and give them a hard
decision to make than to
> have to fill the Office by default with the single
candidate who submits a
> bid.  Or worse yet, to have the Office go vacant
because the single
> candidate to submit a bid is unacceptable to the
Regional Officer for some
> reason.
>
> It may also seem that the Officers of the Canton are
a closed clique,
> trading the various Offices among themselves; this,
too, is not so.  Those
> who have served as Officers will often bid for
another Office because they
> have learned something about that Office that
interests them, or they like
> being involved in the mundane procedures necessary to
the running of the
> Canton.  Or perhaps they are just masochistic.  In
any case, we do not
> have, nor do we ever want to have, a “ruling clique”
of people in Loch
> Ruadh.  “Leadership through Service” should be the
motto of those who would
> be Officers.
>
> Bids for Hospitaler and Archery Marshal will close at
our May Populace
> Meeting.  Bids for the other Office will close at the
June Populace
> Meeting.  Application for Office forms are available
online at

http://www.ansteorra.org/publications/forms/forms.html,
or see me for a
> printed copy.  The completed form must be sent to the
appropriate Regional
> Officer, and you must attach photocopies of your
membership card and a
> photo ID, such as a driver’s license.  You should
black out the driver’s
> license number on the copy.  Copies of the bid should
also be sent to me as
> Seneschal, to the current Officer of the Office you
are bidding for, as
> well as courtesy copies to the corresponding Baronial
Officer and Their
> Excellencies, Galen and Allesandre.
>
> Please contact me if you have any questions or if I
can provide any more
> information.
>
> I hope to see bids from many of you within the next
few weeks.

grrhine at swbell.net
central_herald at ansteorra.org
ceinweinswan at hotmail.com