LR- well of knowledge

blakrose blakrose at swbell.net
Tue Apr 3 22:58:01 PDT 2001

the 'zest' refers to the peel---what you do is get a zesting tool at cooks supply
house or if its just something you want to try use a standard grater with small
holes and regular ones----use the small holes and run the lemon or orange over it
til you get a good supply----use only the parts that have the color of the fruit
in question----in other words you dont want to go too deep and get the pithy
white stuff----just the outer peel where all the oil and color is

ummmm  its a good idea to do this BEFORE you peel the fruit  much easier to get
the zest with the peel still on the fruit than later    altho it can be done
afterwards     its just harder

as far as a substitute for taste you might try some of the oil of lemon or
orange  make sure its safe to be taken internally tho some oils are not

as for looks  nothing looks the same