[Loch-ruadh] Today in History August 4th

STEVE K ROURKE SROURKE at prodigy.net
Sat Aug 4 12:15:08 PDT 2001

Born

1222: Richard de Clare, 7th Earl of, 8TH EARL OF CLARE, 6TH EARL OF HERTFORD
Gloucester, the most powerful English noble of his time. He held estates in
more than 20 English counties, including the lordship of Tewkesbury, wealthy
manors in Gloucester, and the great marcher lordship of Glamorgan.

1521: Pope Urban VII original name GIAMBATTISTA CASTAGNA pope from Sept. 15
to Sept. 27, 1590.

Other events

1060: Death of Henry I, King of France, Philip I becomes King of France

1100: Coronation of Henry I, King of England

1221: Death of St. Dominic

1265 Simon de Montfort English baron, dies in battle

1347: Calais surrenders to Edward III

1526 Juan Sebasti.n Cano Spanish explorer, dies

1578 Battle of Alcazarquivir, Morrocans defeat Portugeese