LR- Possible New Event?

Kip aka Weylyn Mathius MacAllister guardian_tx at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 28 18:53:12 PST 2001

Personally, I love it   }:-)

Weylyn

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Padraig Ruad" <padraig_ruad at irishbard.com>
To: <loch-ruadh at ansteorra.org>
Subject: LR- Possible New Event?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:29:31 -0500

Many of you probably know that Conall has suggested that we hold an event
during Gulf Wars for all of those Ansteorrans who can’t/don’t go to the War.
  I’ve given this some thought and decided that we should put this out for
general discussion and to find out if there is a concensus to actually put
on what could turn into a second annual event.  We need to make a decision
soon so that we can get a date on the Kingdom calendar and start planning –
a year is none too much time to begin planning for a new event.  The weekend
before Gulf War next year will be 8-10 March 2002, with the weekend that
concludes the War being 15-17 March.  Putting it on the 8-10 March weekend
means we would get somefolks attending who would then immediately leave for
Gulf War.

Here are some ideas that I have been kicking around to get the discussion
going:

Insurrection – while the King’s away, the peasants will play.  I think this
would be a great format for an event during Gulf Wars, with TRMs and most of
the Kingdom’s nobles and knights away.  Divide up into two armies, the
rebels and the loyalists, to do battle for the Kingdom.  (Of course, we’d
have to give it back when everyone got back from Gulf War, but that’s the
way it goes.)  If we wanted to do it as a themed event, Thorgierr has
suggested we could pattern it after the English Peasants Revolt of 1381.  I
see lots of possibilities here.

If we want to do a themed event of some other historical event, here are
some period events that took place in March:

933:  Magyars defeated by Henry I of Germany
In 924, Henry agreed to pay tribute to the Magyars and return a hostage
chief in exchange for a nine-year halt to raids on German lands. During this
truce he built fortified towns and trained cavalry, which he used to combat
various other encroaching tribes. When the agreed-upon time had passed,
Henry refused to pay another tribute and the Magyars resumed their raids;
but the king and his seasoned army destroyed the Magyars at Riade.

1229:  Frederick II crowns himself king of Jerusalem
When he was crowned Holy Roman Emperor by Pope Honorius III, Frederick took
a vow to go on Crusade, but he put off the expedition to settle matters in
Italy. When he was at last ready to depart in 1227, an epidemic set him back
further. The new pope, Gregory IX, disregarded the emperor's justification
for delay and excommunicated him for failing to go on Crusade.
Frederick ignored the excommunication and set sail for the Holy Land, where
he entered into complex negotiations with the Sultan al-Kamil of Egypt that
confirmed his control of Jerusalem. He crowned himself in the Church of the
Holy Sepulchre.

1307:  The Douglas Larder raid
Sir James Douglas was a Scot who returned home from school in Paris to find
his estates had been claimed and occupied by an Englishman, Robert de
Clifford. Joining with Robert the Bruce for a time, he returned in an
attempt to take back his land, attacking his own castle three times. After
his final assault, known as the Douglas Larder, he razed the castle to the
ground.

1351:  The Battle of the Thirty
This battle in the struggle for succession to the duchy of Brittany was so
called because each side chose thirty knights to engage in combat. Though
the battle settled nothing, it became the basis of troubadour legends and
was retold in the chronicles of Froissart.

1461:  The Battle of Towton
The deadliest battle of the War of the Roses, Towton secured the throne of
England for the recently-crowned King Edward IV. The Lancastrians, having
failed to take London and prevent the coronation, retreated before the
armies of Edward and Warwick. The Yorkists caught up with them on Palm
Sunday. The battle raged for 10 hours in a snowstorm until John Mowbray,
duke of Norfolk, arrived with fresh troops and the Lancastrians fled. The
fugitives were hunted down and slaughtered.

1575:  Battle of Tukaroi
This battle between the armies of the Indian Mughal emperor Akbar and the
Afghan sultan of Bengal Da`ud Khan took place at a village between Midnapore
and Jalesar in western Bengal and resulted in the scattering the Bengali
army. Bengal was ultimately conquered by the Mughals in 1576.

In Service,