LR- Not Fair!!!

Bill Osterheim Polydore at worldnet.att.net
Mon Feb 5 17:12:50 PST 2001

Adam Harrison wrote:

> I arrived friday night in time for Lawrence's Siege marshal class.  got
> authorized as a siege marshal.--more on that Wed at populace...  Also had
> Lawrence look at the Ram.  He gave it his A-ok...

Heh. I bet not many people know there is such a thing as a Ruadh Battering Ram.
Or that you worked on it until 5am friday morning putting it together, and then
got a couple of hours sleep and went to work finishing the Ballista.

Bjorn wants a name for the Ballista - lets give him ideas! (evil grin!)  I
suggest he bring both to A&S this saturday for all to see, and perhaps enter the
ballista, as he did the vast majority of the work.>

> > I arrived onsite Sat about 8 am, got armored up and found that inspection
> was delayed for at least an hour.   I love SCA time...  <grin>

Optomist are in charge - they seem to think everybody want to get up at 7 anfter
the Night Before(tm). Silly People.

> I awoke around 8, rolled over, then started moving around 8:45.  by the time
> 9:15 had rolled around I, and all my weapons were inspected and we were
> inspecting Siege weapons.
>
> My ballista was the first to fire the 5 shots necessary for it to pass.
> Each time I fired a crowd of people would cheer as a bolt sailed downrange.
> All 5 of my shots came within 10 feet of each other.  The machine performed
> perfectly and was passed with ease and Lawrence going "nice engine!"
>
> I would like to point out that I didn't hear cheering when any of the other
> ballistas were being tested... :-)

Did any of the rest of them look like an authentic engine?

> The siege weapons were considered "invincible" for the battles, as if they
> were inside a castle and shooting out or were otherwise inaccessable to the
> fighting forces.  What this meant was siege crews didn't have to be armored,
> so Armand and I grabbed a few people and said "hey, ya wanna shoot fighters
> with our ballistas" and quickly authorized them for siege weapons.
>

> > Bjorn and Wiley came and we Fian Ruadh sided with the Arthurians in some
> field battle and I actually lived thru one or two.   Wiley and I chased down
> > knight, (I think) and he yielded to us after he fell.  Not a kill in the
> true sense but satisfying none the less.  i found out how affective out
> flanking a shield wall can be.
>
> Yes, the field battles were an extreme amount of fun.  I got several kills
> and tons of assists.  I also managed to stay alive the ENTIRE time, a first
> for me.  Almarr also authorized me for Fiberglass spear and I made great use
> of it in the third battle.  I even amazed myself by staying alive(while
> using a fiberglass spear) when a florentiner tried to run me down.  In the
> first battle Wiley and I were the only combatants left alive when the dust
> settled.  Also in that battle a lefty Frayman tried to run me down and I
> managed to not only block all of his shots, but also deliver a solid blow to
> his helm which he acknowledged!  woo hoo!  That battle was also the only
> field battle where I was touched.  A Frayman threw a shot at my helm, but it
> felt as if it had skipped and I called it as such.  the rest of the time I
> blocked every single shot that was thrown at me.  woo hoo!
>
> Then Lord Thorgier, (spelling?)   organized a raiders
> > battle.   We split into 3 teams,   Caravan, Raiders and Knight's Posse.
> The Caravan had to stay on the road in the woods and we Raiders attacked.
> Even with 3 lives we couldn't defeat the Posse but we had alot of fun trying!
>
> We raiders were restricted to short weapons, swords, shields, and combat
> archery equip.  So I had to put my long toys away(I feel a ruadh noise
> coming) and grabbed my short axe and brand new hammer.  Please note that I
> don't fight florentine very often...  I wasn't killed quickly, but my
> performance was to say the least, poor by my standards.  During one of the
> battles Dermont smacked my right thumb and now it's all bruised and nasty
> and writing is a bit weird, but hey it was fun.  In another battle I got
> triple-teamed by Mahdi, Drake, and Dermont-- I didn't know I could feel pain
> in 5 places at once till after that...
>
> > Bjorn's ballista has good rang and worked great.  It was one of the longer
> > shooting machines.
>
> Yes it did shoot longer than the others, but we still have work to do before
> it's ready for war...

A little adjusting, and apply finish to it. I suggest thompson's water seal (I
haved plenty) or a varnish, so it looks the same as now.  I think painting it
sould ruin the effect.

> One of those 5 or 6 happened to be a light fighter named Laura who I now
> have the honor of fighting for...(woo hoo!)

woo hoo? saw one of those other people? Daffy Duck???
me!