LR- virus - source - off topic but you may wish to scan

Padraig Ruad padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Wed Jan 17 15:47:46 PST 2001

>As MoAS for Loch Ruadh, I thought I would forward this info.  Any one on the
>Hancock fabric list may wish to dump/delete all sendings as this is a source
>of many virus problems.  Not a firm topic for our list but many of us have
>signed up due to costuming/garb considerations.  I have received specific
>messages from the webmaster as to the problem with this sight and felt
>prevention is better than repair.
>
>Pardon my off topic sending.  Please notify me if you have information that
>is contrary to this posting. as I do not wish to be considered a whistle
>blower or one who cries wolf to soon..  This does not reflect Hancock fabrics
>- it is simply a problem the computer society has come to  deal with and the
>virus "hahahaha" has occurred in Ansteorian lists.
>
>Asa Hrafnasdottir

I consider this to be very "on topic" for this and any other mailing list.  As administrator of the Loch Ruadh mailing list, I have seen the "Snow White" virus that comes from "hahahaha" show up in the bounced mail several times over the past few weeks.  The Ansteorran list server has very effective filters, and this has been caught each time it has attempted to come through.

I cannot emphasize strongly enough that you should use virus checking software on your computer, and that you should update it on a regular basis.  Most commercial virus software have websites which offer free updates.  There are also some good free and shareware virus checkers available online.