[Loch-ruadh] St. Lupus

PBW pookie2 at airmail.net
Tue Jul 24 15:58:18 PDT 2001

Not really!  I now understand why some people seem to only have trouble
with their skin and others have trouble with everything else but.  I could
never understand how you could be out in the sun so much and it not bother
you. Now I know.

Education is always a good thing.

Bicé

Actualy being out in the sun DOES bother me. But not with skin
irritation/rash like those with Discoid Lupus. I end up swelling up like a
balloon, get tired very easy, and typicaly 48-72 hours *after* prolonged sun
exposure I end up with whats known as the "butterfly" on my face (a sign of
a flair up). (Ask Connall, after an event I'm about as usfull as a
screendoor on a submarine. The lupus has to have its say in my enjoying and
event.) Sun avoidance is another reason I look like a whitewashed wall all
the time; lots of sunscreen, sleeves, leggings etc to keep the sun off me.
I'm *supposed* to wear a hat too but I havent found many that I like. In
fact I need to get a straw hat of some kind for Lugnasad, borrowing yours
last year saved my bacon I think! <grin>

I'm just stubborn and refuse to not go outside, and as it is I tend to stay
indoors or in the shade more than most folks. I try to plan ahead to
decrease some of my symptoms. Part of living with a chronic disease.

MagD'Leigha
Who would be glad to give a small "inservice" to those who wish on various
chronic illnesses and how an outdoor event might effect them. Not bad
information to have handy when you cant find a Chirurgeon or are waiting on
one to arrive.