LR- Gulf War Report - Day Six (Final)

Padraig Ruad padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Sat Mar 17 22:00:40 PST 2001

Greetings one last time from Meridies!

This morning was significantly cooler than the past few days, much to the relief of the fighters.  We gathered at the fort at about 10:30 to do the final official battles of the week.  Ansteorra defended first, and Fian Ruadh was given the task of defending the windows at the front right corner of the the fort (as seen from inside).  Bjorn and I died within minutes, victims of two very well placed arrows.  The battle seemed to last forever, especially after a Trimarian female fighter got a compound fracture of a leg while the Trimarian forces were storming the fort over ramps.  Haven't I said that those ramps are dangerous?  Even more than before, you won't find ME jumping off any more walls.  After what seemed like a very ling time (which I'll bet was event longer to the victim), the ambulance finally arrived and took her off.

In the second battle, we were guarding one of the ballistas that were inflicting heavy damage to the Trimarians in the fort.  We charged the sally port, following Iron Lance and the Arthurians.  When all was said and done, we took five minutes longer to win the fort than did the Trimarians, so they took the most War points for heavy fighting.  The fort scenarios seemed to take a lot longer than in previous years, even without the many and long holds called during the first.

Between the battles, His Majesty Jason announced the knighting of Ulstead the Unsteady, Kingdom Warlord.  Two Sable Falcons were given as well, once to our own Don Llewylen, and the other to someone whose name I should remember but cannot at the moment recall.

Rumors of rain spurred us to break camp tonight.  We dropped the Canton pavilion, and returned to do the same to the parachute and our own tents.  Rather than try to get the trailer down the crowded and busy roads, we loaded everything into my truck and ferried it to the parking lot.  Finally, after a long day (and long War), we headed for the Georgetowne Inn for hot showers and soft beds, not even thinking about the parties going on tonight.

I will tell these tales in more detail and with many additions when we return home.

Looking forward to seeing you all!