[Loch-ruadh] Trebuchets and wheels

Adam Harrison concrete_donkey at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 10:45:05 PDT 2001

A minor correction.  Going through another set of
historical drawings/paintings, I have found one
instance where a hanging counterweight trebuchet did
indeed have wheels.

The accompanying text discusses that these may have
been included so the engine could be built out of
enemy range and then wheeled into place.  the author
notes that this should have been done with an empty
counterweight box-then loading the weight box while
under fire.  The author also mentions that they
"could" have relieved stress on the frame or allowed
the weight to drop in a straight line more.

Anyway, the Nova special had their wheeled trebuchet
on a wooden track of sorts so it could roll easier
than on soft ground.  If we were to do this we would
have to build tracks for the wheels to run over, thus
almost eliminating the potential for re-aiming the
device using the wheels.

-Bjorn