[Loch-ruadh] Trebuchet project

HRAFNASDOT at aol.com HRAFNASDOT at aol.com
Tue May 8 11:24:36 PDT 2001

If you're casting your own weights  - You could make them where you do away
with the bucket by placing them directly onto an axle - think stringing
washers onto a bar.  Might work better because think of the reinforcement for
the bottom of the bucket and the sides to withstand the weight.  The axle
will have to withstand it anyway.  You maximize the volume of material by
doing away with the bucket. Its not period but unless you have period
weights, period windlass, pulleys, etc - what does it matter?
How do you plan to transport 800 to ton of weight?  And load it?  And how ARE
you going to buy all that lead?  And WHERE?  Home Depot or Loewes or Walmart,
right now, has sand.  For under $5 everyone could donate one bag and leave it
at the sight if we had to - sand, last time I looked, wasn't toxic.  And
casting lead is very easy, but dangerous.

Just my inexperienced two cents - I've not had to move trebuchets to sights
or ballistas, so I don't know how difficult it might become.  Maybe your
truck is up to the weight?

Asa