[Loch-ruadh] Today in history Nov. 20

STEVE K ROURKE SROURKE at prodigy.net
Mon Nov 19 20:28:55 PST 2001

869 Death of St. Edmund, King of the East Angles, killed by the Danes at
Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, England.
1022 Death of St. Bernward.
1183 Saladin lays siege to Castle Kerak, and refuses to bombard the part of
the castle where a marriage was taking place.
1249 The Christian army leaves Damietta for Mansourah.
1292 John Baliol swears fealty as King of Scots to Edward I ( England).
1376 Richard II invested as Prince of Wales.
1497 Vasco da Gama rounds Cape of Good Hope, thus discovering the water
route to India.
1558 Queen Elizabeth I appoints William Cecil to the post of Secretary of
State.
1559 Death of the Bishop of Rochester.
1564 Spanish expedition sets out to colonize the Philippines.
1572 1st place of worship for English dissenters established, Wandsworth.
1578 36 persons executed as witches in Kilkenny, Ireland.