[Loch-ruadh] Today in history Nov 5 Addendum

Paul or Galen baron at elfsea.net
Mon Nov 5 08:04:42 PST 2001

This was the concil that resolved the "Three Pope" schism that we're
re-enacting with the Battle of Three Kings this weekend.  It also
deposed Benedict XIII and Gregory XII.

- Galen
Pope for a Day, next Saturday
Hoping to see you all there!

On Monday, November 5, 2001, at 09:49 AM, STEVE K ROURKE wrote:

> In 1414 the Roman Catholic Council of Constance opened. In 1378 the
> Roman Church had split when two Popes had been elected. The Papacy was
> now controlled monarchs, divided and discredited. Pope John XXIII was
> forced to call the Council of Constance. This council was one of the
> greatest assemblies of medieval history. Its aims were the restoration
> of unity to the Church, reform in practices and the extirpation of
> heresy. The reigning Popes were force to resign, Pope Martin V was
> elected and the Church once again was united. That body asserted that a
> church Council was superior to a Pope and called for stated meetings of
> Councils. In addition the council condemned the heretic John Hus and
> ordered his execution.

- Paul Mitchell / Galen of Bristol
"God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but
shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world."
       - C.S. Lewis
Please discontinue use of <pmitchel at flash.net>.  Replace with
<baron at elfsea.net>.
All my websites have moved to <users2.ev1.net/~pmitchel>, because
Prodigy is about to impose its second rate increase since buying out
Flash.Net.