[Loch-ruadh] Today in history Oct 28

STEVE K ROURKE SROURKE at prodigy.net
Sat Oct 27 22:41:44 PDT 2001

St. Simon and St. Jude's Day
901 Death of Alfred I "the Great" ( England).
969 Byzantines take Antioch.
1017 Birth of Henry II "the Black," Holy Roman Emperor.
1147 Alfonso Henriques (Portugal) takes Lisbon.
1232 Death of Randolph de Blondevile, Earl of Chester (mentioned in "Piers
Plowman").
1348 Third Wave of the Black Death hits Europe.
1351 Faire held at Droitwich, England.
1359 Edward III (England) sails for Calais.
1412 Death of Margaret, Queen of Scandanavia.
1435 Coronation of Ladislaus V ( Bohemia).
1467 Birth of Erasmus. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05510b.htm
(Apparently his year of birth is in doubt. I found 5 different years listed
on the web.)
1492 Columbus discovers Cuba.
1585 Birth of Cornelius Otto Jansen, French Roman Catholic reform leader.