[Loch-ruadh] Today in history Sept. 21

STEVE K ROURKE SROURKE at prodigy.net
Thu Sep 20 21:58:59 PDT 2001

St. Matthew's Day
454 Murder of Aetius by Valentinian III, Western Roman Emperor.
1096 The Turks surround the fortress Xerigordon, near Nicaea, taking it 8
days later and killing all within who did not abjure the Christian faith.
1237 Death of Edward II (England) is announced in Parliament.
1397 Beheading of Richard, Earl of Arundel and Surrey.
1415 Birth of Frederick, III as Holy Roman Emperor, IV as King of Germany, V
as ArchDuke of Austria.
1435 Peace of Arras.
1452 Birth of Girolamo Savonarola, Florentine monk, preacher, reformer.
1520 Death of Selim, Sultan of Turkey.
1520 Suliman I "the Lawgiver" (aka:"the Magnificent") becomes Sultan.
1529 Turks under Suleiman I lay siege to Vienna.
1549 Death of Marguerite d'Anguoleme, Queen of Navarre.
1558 Death of Charles V ( Spain).
1576 Death of Jerome Cardanus, mathematician.
1589 ARQUES (Henry IV defeats the Duke of Mayenne).
1597 The Dean of Guild, William Dun, granted 47 pounds, 3 shillings, and 4
pence for "the great number of witches burnt this year".