[Loch-ruadh] Starved for details!!

Adam Harrison concrete_donkey at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 24 13:53:30 PDT 2001

Here are a few comments of my own, regarding your
observations...

--- "Doug F." <dougf_ at hotmail.com> wrote:
> --
> Details, huh? Well with me being new here...I'd like
> to make an observation or two. Of course I'm not
> belittling anyone or any group, so bear this in
> mind, please. I saw several people in mundane
> clothes (jeans)....even suspenders. Tennis/running
> shoes were frowned upon. Huge no no where I come
> from. I saw way to much mundane equipment within
> eyesight in camps. A big no no there. In my last
> Barony, we weren't allowed to have any type of
> mundane equip. unless it could be totally covered in
> some way, within eyesight.

I totally agree with your idea of what an SCA event
should be like and admire your previous barony for
being able to meet those standards.  The problem is
for many SCAdians, we cannot afford period style
pavillions/tables/etc.  What we can do(and frequently
do-at lease we used to) is try to cover our mundane
items.  This is exactly what you mention above.  Also,
some events are more strict than others, and some
campsites/groups more strict than others.  The culture
camps, for example, should try to hide mundanity to a
point that seems almost fanatical.  Unfortunately I
didn't get to see much of the culture camps, so I
cannot comment on how strict they were or were not.  I
am guilty of doing the "running around in tennis
shoes" bit.  I try not to when I can, but sometimes
it's inevitable.  This weekend I was weaing mundane
sandals that looked period from about 15 ft away, but
up close were obviously mundane(plastic buckles and
velcro).  I fight in either tennis shoes or blatantly
mundane backpacking boots with bright blue laces.
Eventually I will upgrade to more period looking
footwear for combat use, but for now my old tandy
leather boots just aren't safe enough for me.  One
other thing about mundane equipment, some of it is
needed for medical reasons, such as electic scooters.
It's difficult to hide such things.

 Also, as a last
> observation....no one could come onto the list field
> with duct tape showing. The only time we were
> allowed that was when we needed field repairs.

That's something I try to aspire to, and something
that most people usually do; however exceptions can
be, and frequently are, made.  It's highly possible
that the duct tape you saw on people was put in place
as a last minute fix when someone pulled a vambrace
out of their armor bag and noticed a strap had blown.
Field repairs can happen before you get to the field
too.

This point is entirely sarcastical, please take it as
such...  If you weren't allowed on the field with duct
tape showing, how could you fight?  The weapons
wouldn't be allowed on ;-)

> I see that things are done here a little
> differently.

Part of what makes the SCA so great is its diversity.
I started out playing in the Outlands, and it took a
bit of time for me to totally adapt to Ansteorra, as
it would any new kingdom I started playing in.

You'll get used to how we do things here quicker than
you expect, and even before you do, you can start
making subtle hints to people and start making changes
in the way things are done, over time, perhaps
encampments will hide mundanity more and events will
take up a more period aspect.  The best way to lead
people is by example.  If your camp starts looking
period, word fame will spread.  I'm willing to live
with the way things are now, but if you want to push
for less visible mundanity I'm also willing to help
change things too.

If you thought Tanglewood was bad, just wait until you
go to an event at the Canton First Mondays site...
With paved roads, flourescent lighting abound, and
electical outlets in each camp it's all but impossible
to hide mundanity.

Yours in Service,
Ld Bjorn inn Kvensami
Captain of the Elfsea Baronial Guard
Commander of Fian Ruadh, Iron Star Brigade
Siege Marshal of the Canton of Loch Ruadh
Siege Marshal of the Barony of Elfsea

<snip>