[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History April 5

Sluggy slugmusk at linuxlegend.com
Thu Apr 4 21:29:00 PST 2002

STEVE K ROURKE wrote:

> Deaths:
> 1531 Richard Roose boiled to death for trying to poison an archbishop

Well, I just HAD to look that one up....

"Henry VIII ordered the execution of nearly 72,000 subjects and added to
the already cruel list of execution methods. In 1531 he legalized
boiling people to death; ironically the first person sentenced to be
boiled was a cook. Convicted of preparing a poisonous sauce, Richard
Roose was brought to the town square where he was lowered into a pot and
simmered for a few hours until the temperature was high enough to kill
him."

On the same site:

Watch what you say:

"Twelve hundred Turkish prisoners were mistakenly killed in 1799 by
Napoleon after he ordered them set free. He complained about a coughing
fit he was having but his words "Ma sacree toux," (my confounded cough)
were misunderstood. Instead his men thought he uttered, "Massacrez tous"
(kill them all) so they open fire, killing every prisoner."

Sluggy!

--

   You may be only one person in the world, but
   you may also be the world to one person.