[Loch-Ruadh] Word of the Day, April 9

Cait O'Hara lady_cait at lycos.com
Wed Apr 10 11:55:17 PDT 2002

If I already posted this, I am sorry.  I forgot which day I left off.

April 9, 2002
Choke-chicken

A mother’s exclamation as she tries to soothe her child when coughing.
-- Walter Haigh’s New Glossary of the Huddlesfield Dialect, 1928

Death of Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
A few days before he died, Bacon, who had long wondered how grass could remain green when buried under snow, correctly theorized that ice was a type of preservative.  To test his hypothesis, he bought a chicken and ordered it prepared.  As the story goes, he caught cold while stuffing the bird with snow and died a short time later.  It is believed that the white chicken still haunts Pond Square, Highgate, the London neighborhood where Bacon purchased it.  He once wrote, “There is a superstition in avoiding superstitions.”

---
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons;
For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
-- Acacia

See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar
http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp