[Loch-Ruadh] word of the day

Jane Sitton jane.sitton at radioshack.com
Thu Aug 1 08:28:20 PDT 2002

Totally not period, but relevant to current events.  I wonder when "jingo"
became a euphemism for "Jesus".  Anyone have any interesting euphemisms in
period?  I'm thinking "zounds" for "God's wounds", and the like.

Linguistically yours,
Madelina

Your daily vocabulary lesson: jingoism (noun) : extreme chauvinism or
nationalism marked especially by a belligerent foreign policy

Pronunciation Information: The stress in "jingoism" is on the first
syllable.  An approximation of the pronunciation is JING-goh-is-uhm.

Example sentence: Albert Einstein was a pacifist who found German jingoism,
with its ultra- nationalistic ideology and militaristic policy, so
objectionable that he left his homeland in 1933, never to return.

Did you know? "Jingoism" originated during the Russo-Turkish War of
1877-1878, when many British citizens were hostile toward Russia and felt
Britain should intervene in the conflict.  Supporters of the cause expressed
their sentiments in a music-hall ditty with this refrain: "We don't want to
fight, yet by jingo if we do, We've got the ships, we've got the men, We've
got the money, too!"  Someone holding the attitude implied in the song
became known as a "jingo" or "jingoist," and the attitude itself was dubbed
"jingoism."  The "jingo" in the tune is probably a euphemism for "Jesus."