[Loch-Ruadh] Re: [Loch-Ruadh]correction on garb stuff

HRAFNASDOT at aol.com HRAFNASDOT at aol.com
Sat Aug 31 08:46:22 PDT 2002

In a message dated Fri, 30 Aug 2002 8:54:47 AM Eastern Standard Time, rbnew5 at netscape.net writes:

>  Colors: Blue, red, yellow - they loved color.  Avoid ALL pastels.  Also natural neutrals like brown, ecru, black.  No
> stark whites.

After reading my own note, I see I goofed big time.  It should read:

Also natural neutrals like brown, ecru, black are GOOD choices and can be used, but avoid stark white.

Sorry, brain hiccup, grammar is not my strong point.  If all you wore was neutrals, it would be okay - maybe not completely period for court/fancy dress, but I think it was probably more common than what they have found or what you see.  I think the colors were saved for party clothes and the everyday stuff would be things that wore well, hid dirt and didn't fade.  Besides, it is very hard for them to tell what colors were used exactly, they're just using educated guessing because of chemical analysis which indicates such and such which could have been the dye....etcetera.

Thora Sharptooth's site goes into WAY more detail and explains it better than me - she's an expert, a Vassar PhD on textiles if I'm not mistaken.

Please take my info as a GUIDE, ya'll probably have forgotten more about garb than I have researched!

Asa
(who's going back through e-mail checking for anymore SL articles)