[Loch-Ruadh] Purchasing Titles-YEAH BUDDY

Padraig O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Thu Aug 15 18:11:21 PDT 2002

Purchasing of titles, while a fine and respected period practice that remains to this day, is not an SCA practice.

While everyone in the Society is considered to be of noble birth (which is why we address everyone as milady or milord), all titles in the SCA are given at the pleasure of the various Crowns of the Kingdoms and Principalities, whether it be Lady or Lord for receiving an Award of Arms, or a Duchy for having been King and Queen more than once.  The titles King, Queen, Prince and Princess come from having won a Crown tournament or being the consort of the winner, and of course therefore come from right of arms.

In a similar fashion, the College of Heralds does not allow names that contain titles indicating rank or nobility, ie, I cannot call myself Duke Padraig, or use an equivalent Gaelic term that would indicate that rank.

This concludes your lesson on SCA customs and heraldry for today.  :)