[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History Dec. 25

Steve Rourke steverourke at charter.net
Tue Dec 24 23:02:27 PST 2002

Born:
0749 Leo IV (the Khazar) Byzantine emperor (775-80)
1477 Anna de Bretagne wife of Maximilian of Austria & Louis XII
1509 Giovanni Morone Italian theologist/diplomat/cardinal/"heretic"
1540 Edmund Campion London, saint/Jesuit martyr (December Rationes)

Deaths:
0820: Assassination of Leo V, Emperor of Byzantium
1138 Anacletus II [Pietro Pierleone], Jewish anti-pope (1130-38), dies
1139 Godfried I with the Beard, duke of Brabant/Earl of Leuven, dies
1494 Ferdinand I cruel king of Naples, dies
1547 Lieven Algoet Flemish humanist, dies
1586 Lucas Cranach "the Young" German painter, dies at 70

Other Events:
0438: Publication of the Theodosian Code
0496: Baptism of Clovis, King of France
0800: Charlemagne crowned Holy Roman Emperor
0844 Gregory IV begins & ends his reign as Catholic Pope
0875: Coronation of Charles "the Bald" as Emperor of the Franks
0967: Coronation of Otto II as Holy Roman Emperor
1000: Stephen crowned as Hungary's first King
1066: William the Conqueror was crowned King William I of England.
1075: Pope Gregory VII kidnapped while saying Mass
1139 Godfried II the Young becomes duke of Brabant
1223: St. Francis of Assisi assembled one of the first Nativity scenes, in
Greccio, Italy
1327 King Edward III accedes to British throne
1348 Earthquake destroys Villach, killing 5,000
1494 Alfonso II replaces his father as king of Naples
1533 England's King Henry VIII marries Anne Boleyn (approximate date)
1554 Sir Thomas Wyatt gathers an army in Kent, rebels against Queen Mary
1565 Battle at Talikota India Moslems destroy Vijayanagar's army
1579 Treaty of Utrecht signed, marks beginning of Dutch Republic
1583: Orlando Gibbons, whom Glenn Gould regarded as the greatest composer of
all time, was baptized. By the age of 19 he was earning money for
compositions. He was one of England's most prominent organists from the age
of 21.

---