[Loch-ruadh] Today in History Feb. 5

STEVE K ROURKE SROURKE at prodigy.net
Mon Feb 4 19:43:04 PST 2002

Born
1589 Honorat de Brueil seigneur de Racan French playwright/poet

Deaths
0045 -BC- Cato Roman patriot & philosopher, commits suicide
1578 Giovanni B Moroni Italian portrait painter, dies
1591 Gerard de Jode Flemish publisher, dies

Other events
0816 Frankish emperor Louis grants archbishop Salzburg immunity
1428 King Alfonso V, orders Sicily's Jews to attend conversion sermons
1488 Roman catholic German emperor Maximilian I caught in Belgium
1512 French troops under Gaston de Foix rescues Bologna
1556 Kings Henri I & Philip II sign Treaty of Vaucelles
1572 Beggars assault Oisterwijk Netherlands, drive nuns out
1576 Henry of Navarre abjures Catholicism at Tours