[Loch-ruadh] Today in History Jan 16

STEVE K ROURKE SROURKE at prodigy.net
Tue Jan 15 22:12:11 PST 2002

Births

1587 Alexander Adriaenssen Flemish painter

Deaths

0308 Marcellus I Catholic Pope (-308), dies
0429 Honoratius of Arles bishop/saint, dies
1343 Robert of Anjou king (Naples), dies
1545 Death of Georg Spalatin, 61, German reformer and friend of Martin
Luther. Spalatin's court life allowed him to give secular government a
better understanding of Luther's ideas.
1595 Murad III sultan of Turkey (1574-95), dies

Other Events

0308 St Marcellus I ends his reign as Catholic Pope
1219 Floods in Northern Netherlands after storm, 1,000s killed
1325 Laure de Noves, beloved of Petrarch, marries Hugues de Sade
1493 Columbus returns to Spain on his 1st trip
1531 English Reformation parliament's 2nd sitting
1547 Ivan IV the Terrible (17) crowns himself 1st tsar of Russia
1556 Emperor Karel appoints his son Philip II, king of Spain
1581 English parliament passes laws against Catholicism