[Loch-ruadh] Today in History Jan 18

STEVE K ROURKE SROURKE at prodigy.net
Thu Jan 17 21:52:32 PST 2002

Births

1543 Alfonso Ferrabosco composer

Deaths

1367 Pedro I king of Portugal (1357-67), dies at 46
1479 Louis IX the Rich, duke of Bayern (U of Ingolstadt), dies at 61
1580 Antonio Scandello Italian composer (Passion of John), dies at 63

Other Events

0336 St Mark begins his reign as Catholic Pope
0350 General Maxentius drives out Western Roman emperor Constans
0532 Nika uprising at Constantinople fails, 30-40,000 die
1307 German king Albrecht I makes his son Rudolf king of Bohemia
1478 Grand Duke Ivan II of Moscow occupies Novgorod
1486 King Henry VII of England marries Elizabeth, daughter of Edward IV
1520 Christian II of Denmark & Norway defeats the Swedes at Lake Asunde
1535 Francisco Pizarro founds Lima Peru
1562 The Council of Trent Ä called by the popes to deal with the monumental
problems caused by the Reformation Ä reconvened, following a suspension of
ten years.