[Loch-ruadh] Today in History Jan 25

STEVE K ROURKE SROURKE at prodigy.net
Thu Jan 24 23:35:05 PST 2002

Births

0749 Leo IV (the Khazar) Byzantine emperor (775-80)
1477 Anna de Bretagne wife of Maximilian of Austria & Louis XII
1509 Giovanni Morone Italian theologist/diplomat/cardinal/"heretic"
1540 Edmund Campion London, saint/Jesuit martyr (December Rationes)

Deaths

1138 Anacletus II [Pietro Pierleone], Jewish anti-pope (1130-38), dies
1139 Godfried I with the Beard, duke of Brabant/Earl of Leuven, dies
1494 Ferdinand I cruel king of Naples, dies
1547 Lieven Algoet Flemish humanist, dies
1586 Lucas Cranach "the Young" German painter, dies at 70

Other Events

0844 Gregory IV begins & ends his reign as Catholic Pope
1139 Godfried II the Young becomes duke of Brabant
1327 King Edward III accedes to British throne
1348 Earthquake destroys Villach, killing 5,000
1494 Alfonso II replaces his father as king of Naples
1533 England's King Henry VIII marries Anne Boleyn (approximate date)
1554 Sir Thomas Wyatt gathers an army in Kent, rebels against Queen Mary
1565 Battle at Talikota India Moslems destroy Vijayanagar's army
1579 Treaty of Utrecht signed, marks beginning of Dutch Republic