[Loch-ruadh] Re: [Elfsea] A few more questions.

Darius and Monica dmriney at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 31 19:52:17 PST 2002

In answer to Lady Elisabeth of Pendarvis' questions:

>1.)What do you, as an applicant for Baron/Baroness, hope to look back in X
years when you are stepping down, and say >"This is what I got out of being
Baron/Baroness"?

We hope to be able to look out into the populace in court that night and
recognize faces there that have been playing for many years, as well as
those who we help welcome into this society and into our home, and know by
the light in their eyes, that we have made a positive difference in how they
play this game.

>2.)What are your priorities within the barony for short term? (say the
first six months.  the first year?)

To encourage the growth of our populace. Not just in numbers but in spirit
and in the sense of comunity that makes Elfsea a welcome home for those who
have lived here for many years, as well as those who come to us looking for
a place to stay, and live. We would make ourselves available to the populace
so that they might share their ideas and hopes for the future of these lands
with us. Thus together we might go forward, as a comunity, to achieve our
dreams

>3.)What is the greatest strength that you/both of you would bring to the
barony as baron/baroness?  What about the greatest >weakness?

Our greatest strength is how we work together. Darius tends to think in
terms of the abstract and the ideal, while Rosalia tends to maintain the
level thought of  grounded logical need and the causality of how and why
things happen. While this can be contridictory at many turns it allows us as
equal partners to see things in ways we normally wouldn't by listening to
each other.  It also allows us to be willing to see more than one side of an
issue or dispute, while still being able to take descicive action when it is
called for.

Our weakness is for our friends and family. Many times we feel protective
and defensive of those we love. It is with this knowledge that we work to
overcome our own frailties. Though we may think at times our loved ones can
do little wrong, we must remind ourselves that no one is perfect and even
those closest to us may need the help of a guiding hand or even a second
chance.

>4.) The populace within sees themselves differently as the populace outside
the barony.  As our Baron/Baroness, you can be >our inspiration (leader
perhaps?) for how the outside 'world' sees us-in other baronies, in the
kingdom, in the mundane >world.  What would you change?  What wouldn't you
change? or more correctly, focus on?

The landed nobility are the emisaries of a Barony to the populace of the
kingdom outside of our lands.  It is incumbant on them to represent their
Barony well. As we travel throughout the kingdom, people living in other
areas would view us as the "icon" of Elfsea. As such we would do all in our
capability to maintian the cairage, the mode of dress, and the open
hospitality of these lands for all the Known World to see. Elfsea is a
wouderous and wounderfully fun place to be part of the SCA. We would desire
the whole kingdom be as rich in heart as the land which we call home.

In these same travels, throughout the lands, we would also have the unique
oportunity for our interactions to act as a window to how other groups view
Elfsea.  Even a group that meshes and works as well together as ours, is
bound to have a 'gear' or two get stuck from time to time. As we work
together, many times it is only by use of such a window into ourselves that
we can spot that, yet, small point and give to it the attention it needs.
'A bit of oil' , to continue the metephore, to keep small difficulties from
becoming large problems in the future.

>5.)If you were not an applicant, what qualities and qualifications would
YOU be looking at?

We would look for several things:
A willingness to hear another persons point of view.
A working and stable relationship between the perspective Baron and Baroness
based on mutual respect.
An understanding of the Fealty of a Baron and Baroness to both their
populace and their Crown.

At Home In Elfsea
Master Darius of the Bells
HL Rosalia O Brogan