[Loch-Ruadh] word for the day

Jane Sitton jane.sitton at radioshack.com
Wed Jul 17 13:14:32 PDT 2002

Sent only when I think it's interesting enough.  --Madelina
Your daily vocabulary lesson:
gust * \GUST\ * (noun) : keen delight
Example sentence: Sarah's teachers have observed that she displays a real
gust for reading.
Did you know?  You're no doubt familiar with the simple "gust" that means "a
brief burst of wind."  But that word, which first appeared in print in 1588,
was preceded by at least a century and a half by a differently derived
homograph.  The windy "gust" is probably derived from an Old Norse word,
whereas our featured word today (which is now considerably rarer than its
look-alike) comes to us through Middle English from "gustus," the Latin word
for "taste."  "Gustus" gave English another word as well.  "Gusto" (which
now usually means "zest," but can also mean "an individual or specific
taste") comes to us from "gustus" by way of Italian.